@WNOPtribe

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Why do we worship? - Part 2

The Question:


Why do we worship?
              
The Answer:


“First, because he’s worthy. Second, because that is what we were created to do.” George Piazzi

Today we explore the second part of the answer to the question, "Why do we worship?". If you are just jumping onto my blog, we dove into the first part of the answer in this post click here to read, "Why'd do we worship? -Part 1. With that out of the way, let's explore the second reason why we worship:



Because it is what we were created to do.


Yes. Wow, just wow. How do I even begin to try to explain this truth? I guess I really don't need to. It's cited time and time again in the Bible. You know that book that is living and active? Yes, that one. Let's read some of these together. It's important that we do. 



Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord.


Whom have I in heaven but you?

And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.

God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.
John 4:24 | NIV | 


Praise the Lord, my soul;

all my inmost being, praise his holy name.


Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;

his love endures forever.



My mouth is filled with your praise,

declaring your splendor all day long.

Psalm 71:8 | NIV | 


You, God, are my God,

earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
where there is no water.



Why are we reading these? I will tell you why. We were designed and created to worship the One and True God, and when we don't...the consequences are deadly. I know, I know...that might sound harsh and overly dramatic but it is the TRUTH. When we go against what we were created for and what we were created to do, we are going against God's perfect plan for our lives, we are going against what is natural, what is divine, what is holy. And that, my sweet peeps is a threat to the health of our souls, our bodies, our finances, our relationships, even our salvation (if we haven't accepted Jesus Christ the Lord and Savior of our lives). I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty deadly to me.

Have you ever noticed how some people (maybe even yourself...let's keep it real now)have no problem raising their hands in the air and screaming to the top of their lungs at a concert yet they feel uncomfortable doing it at church or to a song that sings of God's greatness and glory? I call it out not to be judgmental or act superior. I call it out because, THAT WAS ME. Have you ever wondered why this is? It's simple, it's because worship is what we were created to do. That's why it feels so natural. Music and song are the languages God created to praise and give Him glory. So our bodies and our spirits, naturally ease into this expression of worship. And you know who knows this better than any one of us? The enemy does.

Those who know me and know my heart, know that I don't like to give the enemy too much credit. Our God is greater than any deceiver, accuser, or demon. THAT IS TRUTH. And even though he is a defeated foe and the victory is ours, it doesn't mean he doesn't try to keep us separated from God. You see, the enemy before his fall, was the greatest of the worship angels in heaven. Music was his language. We also know that for every trait, gift, and blessing that comes from God, the enemy has a cheap counterfeit.

So what does he do? What is the scheme? He diverts our worship to the latest rock star. He has us singing along pointless words to a pop song, grinding to vulgar lyrics as we raise our hands in the air and sing about things we would never do (or admit to doing). Sneaky isn't he? And he doesn't always use music. Sometimes we worship and bow to other things like; friendships, money, status, power, social groups, food, drugs, or maybe that bottle of wine. I'm no prude, but we are living in times where beautiful women of God, His princesses, daughters of the Most High King post memes celebrating and worshipping the glass of wine they're going to have at the end of the day. No judgment here, I've done that many a time and I could go on and on with examples or stupid ways I've worshipped the wrong things. But my heart isn't to condemn or shame or make us feel guilty on our displaced worship. Because the truth is that I write these posts not so much for you, as I do for myself. 

I believe the Lord wants to set us free. He wants us to identify our displaced worship so that we can repent and bring it back to Him. He wants us to bring our focus back to Him. Not for His sake but for the sake of our hearts and souls. He wants us to empty our hearts of anything that's not of Him so we can do what we were created to do...Worship Him! That will look differently in each one of us. He made us beautifully unique and different. In my case it might look like raising my hands at church or in the car. To you it might be creating a beautiful meal for your friends and family, offering your workout or eating plan for His glory. For  your friend it might be writing, offering a smile, or serving in kid's ministry. You might show your acts of worship in the workplace, through your art, homeschooling your kids, or how you steward your finances. It's all of that.  There is no right or wrong way to worship. The determining factor or heart check isn't how you worship but rather who or what you worship.

Heavenly Father, thank you for creating us in Your image. We praise You and love You Lord. Holy Spirit reveal in our hearts anything that we are worshipping that is not God. Lord we refuse to accept counterfeits in our lives, especially when it comes to who or what we are worshipping. Lord we turn away from worshipping anything that is not You. We thank you and praise You for your grace and eternal forgiveness. It is in Jesus' sweet and Holy Name that we pray. Amen.

Many Blessings, 
Cristina



2 comments:

  1. THIS: " There is no right or wrong way to worship. The determining factor or heart check isn't how you worship but rather who or what you worship."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your support and encouragement, I'm so blessed to be on this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete