@WNOPtribe

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Confession #10: I have a tattoo...ok, maybe have 2

So I have a tattoo...well actually, I have two. Both of my tattoos represent very different moments of  my life but they have one thing in common, I got them to commemorate a life change. And that's where the similarities end. 

IMG_0353.JPG

The one you see in the picture above, I got about three years ago.The anchor represents the security and love I found in my relationship with Christ. Having had gotten a tattoo while I was in college and in a different mindset, I struggled with the thought of wanting one as a born again Christian. I had no judgment towards Christians who did, I just wondered how God would feel about me permanently marking my body again. I was raised to believe that tattoos were a form of mutilation. So between those thoughts (though it didn't stop me before) and me just wanting to live a life that honored God, I found myself in a juxtaposition.

Trust me when I say, I didn't take the decision lightly. I knew what I wanted and where I wanted it. I wanted an anchor, based on some scripture I loved.


We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, ~ Hebrews 6:19
I knew I wanted it on my wrist because I wanted a constant reminder. I knew the day would come when I'd need to look down and be reminded of God's goodness; reminded that when the waves of life crashed on me and tried to sway me to and fro, that God was my anchor. I knew my faith would want to waver, or that I'd forget in the moment how much He loved me and that I was secure.

I know not everyone needs permanent ink on their body to be reminded of this, but I did. So how did I come to the conclusion that it was the right thing to do [for me]? I asked God and then, I waited. I waited for weeks before that one day at the beach when I finally felt it was time.He gave me the okay and so I went. It's nothing fancy or special but it means so much to me.

Let me tell you a little something about this tattoo. While my other one is hidden and was never meant for the eyes of anyone, this one is just visible enough for the right people to notice. When I get asked about it, it's an open invite to speak life into a person through scripture.See, people can argue about many things but they can't argue with your story. As they ask me, it's because they want to know the story behind it, my story, God's story. 

About my other tattoo...well that one would get me attention when I wore two piece bathing suits on the beach. What story did it tell? I was young, I loved butterflies and the sun (I know...so cliche), and I thought it represented freedom. How silly I was, I didn't even feel free enough to have a tattoo in a visible place. Funny how the enemy and the world deceive us. I had a tattoo that supposedly represented freedom yet I was too ashamed of it to show it.

Yet when I found freedom, I chose a tattoo of a symbol that represents security and being grounded.

**This is part of the 31 day series: Confessions of a Faithonista**


2 comments:

  1. It's fun to hear the stories of how my friends got their tattoos and what they mean.

    ReplyDelete